Association of Eastern Historical Societies (AEHS)

Association of Eastern Historical Societies has a membership of 20 historical societies and history groups in the Eastern region of Melbourne.

The AEHS provides mutual support to member groups, meeting four times a year at member venues.

Each meeting includes a speaker who provides an element of skills development for member groups.

The AEHS holds a biennial conference.

About Us

‘The purpose of the association is to provide support for the member historical societies and history groups in the Eastern region of Melbourne and to

  • foster the study of history and the preservation of historical materials
  • promote and arrange activities associated with the documenting, collection and preservation of historic artefacts and sites
  • encourage the research, documentation and publication of history
  • encourage member historical societies to liaise with libraries, schools, interested groups and the wider community, and
  • encourage collaboration and the exploration of options to work with councils in the identification and preservation of historical buildings and structures within the relevant communities.

The AEHS meets four times annually (including the AGM, held alongside a general meeting) to share updates, address common issues, and offer mutual support.  Meetings rotate through member venues.

The AEHS also provides a meeting speaker who provides an element of skills development for member groups.

The Association holds a biennial conference featuring speakers providing information, inspiration and educational material.

SourceAssociation of Eastern Historical Societies Website Sept2025



AEHS Meets in Schramms Cottage Museum New Building 



Source: Facebook 21Sep2025








Doctor William Craig

 We were fortunate to have Phillipa Heale, granddaughter of Doctor William Craig of Box Hill as our speaker in October. Phillipa spoke first about the story of her great grandfather’s background in Scotland and his arrival in Australia on the ship “Red Jacket after a very short (for the period) 69 days journey, in July 1854.

Mr Craig went to Ballarat and on December 3 1854 was present at the Eureka Stockade.

Later Walter moved to Smythesdale, near Ballarat where a house was built for him. The Chinese population were particular friends to Walter as about one third of the people there were Chinese. They had a portable Joss House in the town and ran restaurants, shops and a saloon. Soon Walter married Esther and they lived in Smythesdale and eventfully had two little boys, Andrew and William, who incidentally were present at the time of the discovery and display of the Welcome Nugget, and were allowed to hold the precious piece of gold.

Later the family came to Melbourne and the two boys attended Wesley Collage. William did a medical degree and worked in Lilydale tor a time.

Dr Craig had an extensive medical practice in Box Hill living in a large house in the district. Phillipa had memories of the huge uncomfortable and cold house of her grandfather. The doctor was an avid collector of fine books and owned a large and valuable private collection of rare volumes.

Dr Craig was in partnership with Dr Bourne and together they battled the Spanish Flu epidemic in 1919. He and his wife travelled together as far as Ferntree Gully and Croydon to deliver babies and treat patients. They were well known identities moving about Box Hill in a large 1916 American car. Doncaster and Kew provided patients for Dr Craig’s extensive practice.

After a long and eventful life wherein Dr Craig was on numerous school councils, sporting groups and other community activities, he died in 1941.

A wonderful obituary describing Dr Craig’s full life was printed in the Box Hill Reporter and at his funeral the streets of Box Hill were lined with well wishers and grateful patients as the cortege moved to the Box Hill Cemetery’ where Dr Craig was buried.

We are grateful to Phillipa Heale for her comprehensive illustrated talk on one of the district’s earliest medical practitioners.

Source: 2005-12 DTHS Newsletter


Sunday School Picnic of 1906

Boxing Day 50 or 60 years ago was always hot, dry and dusty. Still it was a day to be remembered by all the members of the church, old and young.

It was the day of the annual Sunday School picnic, and this was always held in Fromhold’s paddock.

This was about 4 acres of flat cleared land about 400 yards west of Victoria Street, immediately behind our present church and south of the fine old homestead of the Fromhold family. There was also gum trees south of this which provided shade for the horses and spring carts in which many of the people had travelled. Most of the 4 to 5 hundred people present had walked. Some families had driven in wagons, and one spring cart or dray carried the water tank, full of fresh water, which was an absolute necessity.

Young mothers pushed iron-wheeled prams. No chromium plate, no rubber tyres those days. The prams, four wheeled and wicker sided, were strong enough to carry the fathers, although of course the babies were no heavier then, than they are now.

The organisation and general running of the picnic appeared to be in the hands of the Superintendent of the Sunday School, and the teachers. The following are some of the men who have all run their last race, and no doubt have been told “Well done, thou good and faithful servant"; Mr Henry Thiele, Mr August Zerbe, Mr Fred Zerbe, Mr Ferdinand Finger, Mr John Finger, Mr Ern Hanke and others.

The lady teachers of whom we still have with us, Mrs O. Dehnert, Mrs Soderlund and Mrs Scherman ably assisted them. What patience, sweetness and kindness these ladies have always exhibited during their long service to their fellowmen and God. v

The picnic started off with the Sunday School races. These were sprints over about 100 yards. The winner had first pick of the prizes, 2nd had 2nd pick, 3rd had 3rd pick; all others were given a prize. Then came the young men’s race. This was really a serious affair. The coats and waistcoats came off, then the celluloid collar and tie and then the boots (nobody wore shoes). The before mentioned committee gave starts on known performances, 2 men held a rope at the finishing point 130 yards away. Mr Aug. Zerbe usually acted as starter. The race was run, as strictly as the Stawell Gift is today and although there were prizes, the honour of winning was the real prize.

The young ladies race was a different affair. First let us have a glance at the competitors, all have either heavy flat-heeled shoes or boots. The boots are soft kid leather, about 14 or 16 inches high and sharply pointed at the toe. They are either laced or buttoned up with about 14 glass spherical buttons. This footwear would definitely never be removed to win any race.

The summer outfit was a skirt and blouse affair. The skirt was usually of cotton material with the hemline about 6 inches from the ground. The blouse was long sleeved, cuff s buttoning tightly at the wrists. A tight fitting lace collar about 3 inches high surmounted the blouse. This fitted firmly around the throat. The blouse was plentifully decorated with lace. Everything was fastened with hook and eyes or buttons; there were no press-studs or zip-fasteners those days. All waistlines were about 21 inches.

1 he hair was from 2 to 4 feet long. Those who had a lot ot hair plaited it into one pigtail and formed a bun on the back ot the head. Those who had an extra lot had 2 plaits and a bun on each side at the back. The summer hat was usually about 2 feet in diameter. It was often straw or cotton and well decorated with artificial flowers (roses or poppies) or perhaps ostrich or parrot feathers. The hat was held in place with 2 or 3 hatpins about 18 inches long. White cotton gloves and a parasol completed the ensemble. The complexion was always cream and roses and the parasol was meant to keep it so.

The married women’s race followed. It was never a real race. The competitors were aged between 20 and 50. All had plenty of excuses for running inability; but still they did not say “No”.

The married men’s race was in the same category. A real draught horse flutter, more puffing and blowing than speed. A young man who had recently joined the ranks of the married men always stole it.

To make the picnic go with a swing various other items were introduced. There was always a lolly scramble for the children. This consisted of all children being gathered into one group. “Conversations” and "Boiled” lollies would then be thrown into the air, much the same as throwing wheat to fowls. The excitement, jostling and scrambling must be left to the imagination, but there were no germs 50 or 60 years ago.

In the bun race for young men, buns were suspended from a horizontal pole to about the height of the competitors’ chins. All had hands tied behind their backs. After running 50 yards to the buns, competitors would endeavour to eat the bun and race back to the starting point. It was all very funny for the spectators.

The tug-of-war, which was always held, was a dour affair. Teams of 10 men a side pulled lustily on a thick rope, and probably took days to wear off the effects. This again was all for fun and honour and glory.

The competitors for the ladies were not so strenuous. One consisted of guessing how many grains of wheat in a pickle bottle. The winner sometimes received a small prize, but again the honour of winning was all that mattered.

About 6 o’clock was teatime. Everybody formed a large ring each with a cup and saucer. Everybody stood and sang grace to the tune of "Old hundredth”. The men’s basso and the women’s soprano voices made this alone a real item of the picnic. Then all were seated on the ground. The young ladies brought sandwiches and their escorts carried huge tea and coffeepots and filled the cups. After sandwiches came the cakes. The chief cakes were plum or streuzel kuchem made of course with brewers’ yeast, and sponge cake. There was always enough food for 2 picnics. Teatime usually lasted about 1 hour. Everybody would then join in and wash up.

After tea the older people would usually leave for home to milk the cow, feed the horses, fowls and pigs and generally to attend to the 100 and one jobs which require attention on any farm, for they were all farmers as well as fruit growers. Parents with children would reluctantly leave and soon the only ones left would be the young people. To be more accurate, this should be the single men and women, for them the picnic would just be starting.

The first game played by the young people would usually be two’s and three’s. This would last about 10 minutes and by then all shyness and standoffishness would be eliminated. Bull in the ring, Poisoned handkerchief, and Jolly Miller, followed till about 10pm. Everybody would join hands and sing “Auld Lang Syne” and another jolly good picnic would be over.


Source: 2004-09 DTHS Newsletter

Bulleen Park and the Bolin Billabong

The Aboriginals of Bolin Bolin

As Mick led us around Bolin Bolin we stopped at regular intervals and he informed us of many perhaps unknown facts about the aboriginals of the district.

The word Kulin means man or people and the negative was used for the name of the tribe or more correctly clan. For example Yorta Yorta means no in that particular language. The Worwong people say woi for no.

Aboriginals were multi lingual as girls always married into another clan.

Yarra Yarra means falling water. Aboriginals pointed out this area in Queen Street Melbourne and gradually it became the name for the river itself.

Darebin means swallows and Mullum Mullum means fish.

In the clan around Bolin Bolin there was about 60 people. Their shelters or Wiliam were of bark with a forked stick to keep up the bark. The floor was of foliage covered with possum skins for warmth and a small fore outside, carefully sited so that the heat went inside. If it was very cold the dogs were brought in for further warmth. The people wore nothing in summer and in winter possum skin cloaks, through which rain cannot penetrate.

When a gathering or corroboree was held at Bolin Bolin 1000 people met up. The eels were plentiful in the river at that point. The people knew of the 7-year cycle of eels. They spent 7 years in the river then swim out of the river to the Coral Sea to breed. The elvers later come back, so that in the months of March and April there is a glut of eels in the Yarra.

Other clans made up the large gathering to trade and to resolve conflicts between the clans. Celebrations such as weddings were held. Messengers travelled about with message sticks telling people in other clans of the arrangements. It was forbidden to harm the messenger when he had foliage attached to his stick. Foliage meant friendship.

The elders of the clans decided plans. Activities were settled by the full moon.

Trade depended on the area where clans came from. Manningham region had most items available. Ochre was in the district and large reeds for baskets. But the people needed shells form other areas and flint axes came from Warung territory.

Conflicts were decided by conciliation by the elders. Sometimes fights resolved problems and there were token punishments for appropriate misdemeanours. Punishments were tied up with spirituality and religious beliefs.

Elders arranged marriages, which were carried out by the mother’s brother who also was responsible for ritual initiations and performances. Gifts were exchanged at the marriage ceremony.

We were surprised at the sophisticated lifestyle of the aboriginal people and very grateful to Mick Wolwood for initiating us into aspects of the aboriginal people of our district.

Source: Notes from Mick Wolwood's recorded in 2004-05 DTHS Newsletter


 Bulleen Park and the Bolin Billabong

From Banksia Street to Burke Road, Melbourne Parks has laid the Main Yarra Trail on the Heidelberg side of the river.  On the Bulleen side, there is another walking track also covering the whole distance, this track continues from Banksia Park under the bridge where it joins another entrance from Banksia Street. Here the path is on Melbourne Parks and Waterways land, the track winds under trees up small hills and down to timber bridges and walkways across old swampy branches of the river. Another entrance comes from Kim Close before we cross the land that used to be the Bulleen Drive-In. Last century in the 1830s Wood's sheep grazed on these river flats. 

The Bulleen flats when surveyed in 1839.


The track follows the river in a wide curve and passes the entrance to another track around the Bolin Billabong. Along this section we could be out in the country miles, from Melbourne. Cattle graze in paddocks and in the summer bales of hay lie in the fields. Behind the Veneto Club, Melbourne Parks own a strip alongside the river, then the path enters Bullen Park that is controlled by the Council.  Here the path no longer passes through bushland but crosses an open sports ground. 

Past the sports field in Bulleen Park, there is a choice of two ways, the gravel path goes around the end of a small billabong, then alongside the archery ground. The other, a bush track, travels into a curve of the Yarra, winding under trees up and over hills between the billabong and the river. Fifty years ago, in the days when people thought a swamp should be drained and a hollow filled in, this became a local rubbish dump. In the 1970s, with a more enlightened council, the rubbish was removed and the billabong allowed to return to its original state and be the home for the many small creatures that live in wet lands.

On the grasslands, where 150 years ago Duncan's cows grazed, the track runs along the edge of the Camberwell Public Golf Course under the trees on the bank of the river, then, at Koonung Creek over a bridge connecting both sides of the golf links: Beyond the links the track cut through rough grass reaching a concrete bicycle path that leads to the Main Yarra Trail. The trail crosses the Yarra on a new foot bridge rising in a graceful arch over the Yarra. Across the river is a car park in The Boulevard at Ivanhoe. This is one place where continuous paths have been laid on both sides of the river. From the car park at Heidelberg to the car park at Ivanhoe it is a three and a half kilometre walk on the Main Yarra Trail. On the more interesting track on the Bulleen side it is five kilometres. 

The track has traversed an area with a history that goes back thousands of years. Along the Bulleen side of the Yarra, lagoons, billabongs and river branches teemed with wildlife: fish and eels swam in the water while the air was alive with water birds and kangaroos grazed on the slopes above the river.  Aborigines came here in hot weather, for there was an ample supply of food and the spreading red gums gave shelter for camping. With such a supply of food this was one of the few places tribes could meet for corroborees. The aborigines spent their summers here until 1842 and the last encampment of aborigines at Bolin took place in 1852. 

There were many lagoons along this section of the Yarra and often during wet seasons the course of the river was hard to define. The largest lagoon, called Bolin, became known as Lake Bulleen by white men. It was an expansion of the Yarra River, lying on low ground about a mile above the junction of Koonung Creek and covered an area of fifty to sixty acres depending on the season.

In 1837, John Woods settled in the area and grazed his sheep on the rich pasture of the river flats. Two years later he sold his grazing lease to Robert Laidlaw and John Kerr.  Kerr left shortly after but Laidlaw remained becoming the first permanent settler in Bulleen. During the 1840s, a community developed alongside the river. The farmers grew wheat and barley while Alexander Duncan made butter and cheese from his dairy faun.  Most of the settlers were Presbyterians who had come from Scotland, they held a church service in Duncan's barn in 1842. The congregation sat on planks laid across barley sacks and used a cheese churn as an altar.  Mrs. Duncan taught the children in her wattle and daub hut. They were proud to live in Bulleen. 

Laidlaw made a large profit from growing potatoes during the gold rushes and in 1865 built a two story mansion, ‘Spring Bank', on Bulleen Road.  The soil of the river flats was rich and with water from the river and lagoons the farms were the most successful in Melbourne but floods often ruined crops, so the farmers changed to dairying and cattle. In 1925 J. V. Wood purchased Springbank and changed the name of his dairy stud ‘Clarendon Eyre’. 

In the first decades after the 39 - 45 war, few people thought of the Yarra as a place for recreation or bushland walks, they were busy building a family life. Councillors looked on the Bulleen flats as a place for a rubbish dump.  In the 1970s and 80s, public attitudes and life styles changed, then the council cleaned out the gullies and raised and levelled this land for a sporting area. Bulleen Park, set in a broad curve of the Yarra, catered for football, cricket, hockey, model aeroplane flying and archery. A walking track connected with the tracks set out by Melbourne Parks and Waterways. 

The most attractive part of the river flats is the Bolin Billabong. The area is public land and although there is at present no gate through the fence it can be entered from Bulleen Road below "Clarendon Ayre". A walking path is cleared through the grass right around the lagoon. The billabong is not a flowing stream it is a calm peaceful stretch of water. Eucalypts curve out over the lagoon throwing shadows on the surface and the wind blows gentle ripples across the water, while often groups of ducks silently paddle past. On any fine day, at a bend where the water is deep near the road, fishermen sit patiently on the bank their lines trailing in the water. 

Bulleen Flats map 1995


Around the billabong an aboriginal food garden is being prepared. The work is being carried out by two apprentice gardeners who are aborigines. Food zones are planted in areas. In a wet patch on the north paddock, carex, lomandra longifolia and coprosma are planted. There is a fruit area with native raspberry, appleberry and kangaroo apple. In the eucalypt section manna gum and river red gums are planted; these provided bark for shields and other purposes. There is a range of wattles. Black wattle was used for sticky resin and blackwood for implements. Later tuberous plants such as lilies and orchards will be planted. At the top end a car park will be laid out with a walk through an interpretive garden. Around the billabong the range of species is to be increased with plantings such as native grasses. 

Source: Irvine Green writing in 1995 03 DTHS Newsletter


Two Pioneer families: Finger & Benjamin

Two family reunions were recently held at Schramm’s Cottage to celebrate the publication of family histories of the Thiele and Finger families, early pioneers of the Doncaster district.

On Saturday 15th of November 2003, more than 60 descendants of Christian Benjamin and Caroline Fredericke Finger who came to Australia with their family from Germany in 1850, held their first family reunion to honour Glenda Dovile, a family descendant on the publication of her book, “The Fingers of Australia and Silesia 1703-2003.

Christian Benjamin Finger, in 1853, purchased land in Wattle Road Hawthorn and built a home for his family. With the help of his sons, he cleared the land and planted vines. In the early 1860’s Christian and his wife and daughter, Auguste, moved to Mont Albert Road, Deepdene (then known as Survey Road, Boroondara) where he established a market garden. He also owned land at Richmond and Doncaster as well as Hamilton in the Western District of Victoria.

In 1854, Christian Benjamin and his sons Christian Gottlieb, Wilhelm and Henry were among a group of Germans who purchased 784 acres of land at Doncaster and established a German settlement, which they called Breslau (later known as Waldau for many years).

In that year, Henry Finger married Johanne Caroline Aumann and they began their married life on a property that Henry had bought near the corner of Whitehorse and Burke Roads, Deepdene. Here he planted vines and fruit trees and grew vegetables. Later he established a fruit tree nursery there. Their first five children were bom at Deepdene.

In 1870, the family made the move to Doncaster. Henry built what later became a substantial house on the property he had earlier purchased in Waldau Lane (now George St east of Victoria St) Hand made bricks for the house were made from clay quarried on the property. Vines and fruit were planted. Henry died on the property in 1884 at the age of 53 and was buried in the Waldau Cemetery nearby.

Following his death the property was divided between his youngest sons John and Ferdinand. Ferdinand took the eastern section including the family home that his father had built and continued to live there until he later moved to North Balwyn where he established another orchard.

John took the western end of the property which extended as far as Victoria Street and built a home which he called “Heimat”. This still stands today in the centre of Rieschieck’s Reserve.

When Ferdinand moved to North Balwyn in 1914, his nephew, Wiliam Rieschieck, bought his Doncaster property. After John Finger's death in 1912, his orchard was leased for a time by the Thiele family and later divided between his grandson Lindsay Fromhold and Alan Rieschieck.

Other members of the finger family also owned land in Doncaster at one time. Wilhelm Finger purchased 10 acres in 1854 but in 1858 sold about 7 acres of this to Henry Fromhold. The remaining portion was bought by August Lenkersdorf in 1864.

Christian Gottlieb Finger bought 49 acres along Strip Road (Church Road) from Edward Quinn in 1854 and later sold this to John Rosel. His three year old daughter died tragically in 1860 when her clothes caught fire in a tent which the family were living in at the time. She is buried in Waldau Cemetery.

In 1875, Henry’s and Caroline’s youngest child Wilhelm David, died at the age of 14 months from measles and was also buried at Waldau.

Glenda’s book is a well-researched and comprehensive publication of 544 pages and a copy has been added to our library at Schramm’s Cottage.

Source: Eric Colyer writing in 2004-03 DTHS Newsletter

Riddle of the Abandoned Car

Was Doncaster to be the scene of the hold up and murder of a bank manager on February 29th- 1916? A descendant of Mr de Mole, manager of the E.S and A bank in Doncaster Road, while doing a family history, came upon details of a planned crime involving her ancestor.

A book written by Hugh Anderson and contemporary newspaper reports reveal a strange story.

In February 1916, a hire car company in inner Melbourne received a request for a hire car and driver to transport two men northwards to Eltham. The driver, a man named Bill Haines was to collect his fare, a Mr LStrange from an apartment building in East Melbourne. However having driven his Unic tourer toward the meeting place, was accosted by two men who said they were the people he was meant to drive, and to proceed to Doncaster.

In Richmond, the car was hailed by another man who handed the occupants a suitcase. The route taken was through Kew and Balwyn. Later, when questioned by police, several passers by in High Street Kew said that they had noticed the vehicle and its passengers.

They described the trio as a young driver and two men in the back of the car, one a tall man sitting next to a smaller man. It must be remembered that in those days, motorcars were a relative rarity on the roads, especially in more outlying areas and would be more readily noticed than they would be today.

In Doncaster Road, near Bulleen, the open car passed a four-wheeled milk wagon. The wagon driver on the side of the road carrying a basket or suitcase. They were walking back toward Kew and the city.

Further along Bulleen Road, the driver saw the abandoned Unic by the roadside near the Bulleen Road and Thompson Road corner.

A neighbour also saw the car approach from Kew, slow down and stop at the intersection. At that time, at the corner of Bulleen and Thompson Roads was a patch of quite thick scrub, which screened the turnoff at Thompson’s Road. She heard voices and a gunshot report. Soon after, Eva Williamson standing at the Doncaster Road comer saw two men run up the hill. Sometime later, a van driver, who had lost his way, saw the tourer and thinking that he could ask directions to Whittlesea, approached the car. Joined by a Mr Greenwood, they both saw bloodstains inside the car. Investigating, they pulled aside a rug to reveal the body of the driver Bill Haines.

The police were called to the scene and investigations were put in train.

After examination of the body, the Government Pathologist, Dr Mollison said that someone sitting in the back seat had shot the dead man at close range with a powerful revolver.

The detective in charge established that no Mr L'Strange ever existed and it was clear that the journey to Bulleen Road had a criminal intent.

Source: 2004-03 DTHS Newsletter

No crime in Doncaster had been reported, so it appeared none had been committed. Perhaps the driver had refused to continue, as he may have suspected a crime was envisaged and had been killed as a result.

Investigating detectives searching for possible clues continued along Doncaster Road and called at the Doncaster branch of the ES&A Bank and learned that a branch had been opened at Templestowe. The manager of the Doncaster branch, Mr Hubert de Mole, rode his bicycle from Doncaster to the Templestowe branch of the bank every Tuesday and Thursday to deliver a payroll for the exchange business, and as the fruit season was very busy, large sums of money were involved.

That morning 29th of February 1916, Mr de Mole had 400 pounds in his bag. So the police felt it was obvious what was intended.

Detectives following the route of the men on foot heading to Melbourne found a suitcase, masks, false moustache, and white dustcoats thrown into a ditch by the road.

Later in the investigations the police found a possible grave at Clayton and in a reconstruction of the crime formed the theory that the bank manager was to have been bailed up by masked gunmen in Templestowe and killed. Haines the driver, was to then drive them to Clayton to the hidden grave. If Haines refused, he would be murdered too.

An unsubstantiated newspaper report at the time, said that a clerk working at the ES&A bank failed to appear at work the day after the murder. It was suggested that this clerk might have been responsible for passing on information about Mr de Mole’s routine carrying the Templestowe payroll.

The descriptions given to the police of the men in the car, seemed to the detectives to fit two notorious criminals of the period, Squizzy Taylor and John Wilbranse.

These men were promptly arrested, but of course denied any knowledge of William Haines’ murder.

A trial in April 1916 was inconclusive. The witnesses were no longer able to be positive in their identifications.

Also predictably both men produced cast iron alibis for the appropriate day. Again, rather suspiciously, acquaintances and girl friends in billiard halls bars and hotels in Melbourne’s inner city gave these alibis.

Squizzy Taylor’s counsel, Mr George Maxwell KC said that no positive identification was produced and no guilt was proved. And a jury decided there was not enough evidence to convict the accused so they were found “Not Guilty” and released.

Source: 2004-05 DTHS Newsletter

Post Offices

Post Offices in Victoria

John Waghorn from Whittlesea Historical Society amazed us on September 3rd with the sheer volume of Ms work on the history of Post Offices in Victoria.
Over the last 40 years John has researched the story of the development of Post Offices and has built a formidable collection of data (30 filing cabinets) full of lists of Post Masters and Post Mistresses in all areas, the dates they commenced duty and relinquished the position.
Every Post Office has a Manila folder devoted to it.
John has also prepared typed and bound books with the names of these people in alphabetical order so that a researcher can look up a particular name and see a record
of service of that person.
In the early days, if a small community wanted a Post Office they would apply to the central Post Office to have one supplied. If there was enough mail to the district the request would be granted and a Post Master would be provided. This person was chosen by prominent people in the area, perhaps a magistrate or Bank Manager. The Post Master would be a person of some substance, often a teacher or a blacksmith who usually conducted his own job in addition to being Post Master.
In some cases, for instance in Ballarat in 1ST] there were several Post Masters in a few days as the pay was very small (just 5 pounds per year) for a very time consuming and responsible position. No wonder men did not last long in the job.
If the community was too small or transient for a permanent Post Office there was system of “loose bag” which was a mailman or contractor who moved along a route and a local person was deputised to receive and distribute the mail.
In the early days, various buildings were used as Post Offices; private homes, schools, railway stations and general stores in small towns, where a small area in a corner was devoted to the Post Office.
John brought along with him material on our own area. A comprehensive list of Postal workers in Doncaster and Templestowe and the dates of their tenure.
We are indebted to John for his information on this interesting topic and compliment him for his industry in researching so thoroughly these records. Some day we hope that the museum or another suitable venue will benefit from this body of work.

Source: 2003-09 DTHS Newsletter


Templestowe Post Office


July 1, 1860, Templestowe Post Office commenced postal services to the residents of Templestowe. 

Source: 1970 08 DTHS Newsletter









The Origin of Manningham

Several years ago when the municipalities of Melbourne were re structured, new names were assigned to most of the city amalgamations.

At the time, in our district the public were consulted about the new name for the city of Doncaster and Templestowe. Many ideas were put forward, some people in our historical society favoured "Bulleen", as historically the original parish was the Parish of Bulleen.

However, after lengthy debate, the Commissioners of the day decided on The City of Manningham to replace the City of Doncaster and Templestowe. As Manningham Road is a major arterial road running through the city, this was felt to be an appropriate choice. The Commissioners thought that to use any existing name of a suburb or section of the city might alienate the people in the other sections, so that Manningham would be a less controversial choice.

The Commissioners who took over temporarily from the elected Councillors consulted the Historical Society regarding the origin of the name "Manningham".

It was discovered that there had been a lady named Manningheim residing near Manningham Road in the 1890’s who had paid rates for a year or two and it was presumed that the road may have been named after her.

No further information was uncovered except that in England, in the City of Bradford in Yorkshire, there is a suburb named Manningham.

Recently Jan and Laurie Petty presented us with a copy of the Last Will and Testament of George Petty drawn up in 1854 in England. George and his family resided in Manningham, in the Parish of Bradford, County of York.

In 1845, Tom Petty was born in Yorkshire, grandson of the above George. His father, Thomas was a cotton mill owner in Bradford, but in the 1850’s, due to an industrial depression, business was bad and Thomas decided to sail for Australia to find land and build a life for his family. He came alone, leaving behind his family until he met with some success in Australia.

Thomas came to Doncaster in 1855 and purchased 47 acres on Koonung Creek to begin farming. In October 1858 his wife and family arrived in Melbourne to join him in Doncaster.

Young Tom took eagerly to orcharding in Doncaster helping his father and eventually became one of the areas most successful fruit growers, owning over 21 orchards in the district.

Tom Petty also was a respected community member being elected to the Shire of Bulleen in the 1870’s and was Shire President in 1877.

It seems quite logical that during his 12 years as a member of the Shire Council, Tom Petty may have had input into the naming of the roads in the district and decided to name Manningham Road after the part of Bradford where he was born and always regarded with affection.

Up to date we have no positive proof of this, but it seems a probable and interesting theory of the origin of Manningham Road.

Source: 2003-09 DTHS Newsletter

Forty Years of Education

Greg Hamilton one of our members gave us an "educational" and amusing talk in June about bis experiences as a teacher librarian and a Primary School Principal in the Education Department of Victoria.

Spanning 43 years, Greg’s career as a teacher began in 1957 and covered a wide variety of schools on his way up the ladder to Principal, a position he held for many years until his retirement in 2000.

He described some of the changes that occurred over these 40 or so years during which perhaps there were more radical changes in Primary schools than there had ever been before.

Previously called Head Teacher, then Head Master, the word Principal was applied to the most senior member of staff in the 1960’s. Also the title of schools was changed from State School to Primary School during this time.

After completing the Trained Primary Teacher’s Certificate at Melbourne Teacher’s College, Greg continued to do a Trained Teacher Librarian course, before being appointed to a school in the Bendigo district where he was instrumental in setting up a central school library.

Before about 1960, most schools had merely a class library in each schoolroom consisting of a few shelves devoted to class library books. These mostly featured classic stories such as "Treasure Island", Rachmal Compton’s “Just William" books or "Biggies" stories. However this era ushered in the beginning of authors devoting their attention to children’s literature, and literally hundreds of titles became available for school libraries.

Another change in schools was the abandonment of the Inspectorial System of teacher assessment for promotion. This method has been replaced by internal assessment within each school and local selection of Principal and teachers instead of the old Inspectorial system.

Greg felt that there were many faults with the old method, teacher competition for the Inspector’s approval, and as a huge bureaucracy was needed to support the system of promotion list and the ensuing appeals, this was counter productive.

Professionalism was hindered and schools’ autonomy was restricted.

While he talked, Greg handed round "Teaching Aids" certificates, photos, newspaper articles and a sample "Classified Roll" to illustrate the points he was making. All was punctuated by amusing anecdotes about school principals and children’s comments.

Time defeated Greg in the end with much left unsaid. We will welcome him back at a later date to continue the story of Education since 1960.

Source: Greg Hamilton writing in 2003-06 DTHS Newsletter

Wood carting

One of the earliest industries of Doncaster was the felling and carting of wood. As there was a huge demand for wood for cooking, heating and industry in Melbourne, the forests around Doncaster provided some of this wood. Stringy bark, wattles, red and grey box, white gums and sheoaks were among the timbers in demand. As many as 80 loads of wood a day left the district drawn by one, two and three horse teams. Most of this wood was sold at the Fitzroy wood market, bringing 4d to 1/1 per hundredweight.

Source: 2003-04 DTHS Newsletter

Ruffey Lake Park

The Ruffey Creek Park 

Ruffey Creek Park is a magnificent 68 hectares of rolling landscape surrounding the valley of Ruffey Creek.  The park has areas for barbeques, picnics, walking, jogging, or just a relaxed walk to enjoy the country. It is an asset that any city would be proud of.
The concept of the park began during the 1960's with the idea of Doncaster and Templestowe having its own Botanic Gardens just as last century every city had a Botanical Gardens. Evidently the councillors were not clear in their minds what the name meant, a botanical gardens is a place to study botany so every tree and plant is labelled. In fact when the first plans for the development of the park were being made, they asked for open grassland with scattered trees (the current perception of a park).

1968 Orchard dam in Ruffey's Creek valley behind Mr Pump's house, George Street, East Doncaster. DP0604


The land had been owned by three families; the Thiele's east of Church Road and west of Church Road, the northern section by the Williamsons, the southern, the Crouchs and Gersch.
In the 1850's, Robert Williamson had been given part of his land for his services as bailiff of the Carlton Estate and purchased the remainder.  Part of this area had been leased by Ambrose Pullin in the 1850 and 60's.  Pullin grew wheat, harvesting his last crop in 1856. Aerial photographs taken in 1970 show the lines of ploughed furrows that could have survived from Pullins wheat fields.
Henry Crouch also purchased his land in the 1850's when the Carlton Estate was opened for sale.  Crouch first grew vegetables and later planted his land with fruit trees.
When he came to Doncaster, bullock wagons had already formed a track across his land from Williamsons Road, the track crossed Ruffeys Creek over a ford then went across Church Road (then called Strip Road) till it met the road to the Warrandyte gold fields.

c1900 View of Doncaster from the hill looking towards Ruffey's creek and orchards. The Doncaster Tower and Schramm's cottage are in the distance. DP0772

In two places relics of this piece of history can still be traced. Rocks that formed the ford have been washed away but a depression can be seen on the slope alongside Church Road and again across the drive into the northern car park.  These depressions would be taken as natural land formations but Henry Crouch had passed on knowledge of the significance to his family.
Gottlieb Thiele came to Doncaster in 1853, he first purchased twenty acres on Victoria Street (then Bismark Street) and later extended his land holdings.  Thiele was one of the first to plant an orchard in the district.  One of the Thiele fruit trees, a Black Achon Pear, still stands in the park near Victoria Street.

Thiele family and friends at the quarry between Church Road and Victoria Street, Doncaster, adjacent to Ruffey Creek. DP0284

Three places of interest are sites of old quarries. One of these remains as a high cliff face along the north bank of the creek near Church Road.  Rock to build part of Friedensruh came from here.
Another quarry, also north of the creek, is closer to Victoria Street.
The third is south of the creek and west of Church Road among a clump of pine trees, stone for the construction of the chancel of Holy Trinity came from there.
An old cart track runs from Church Road to Victoria Street along the north bank of the creek. The Thiele family constructed the track last century and later gave John Finger right-of-way to cart alluvial soil from the creek banks to enrich his orchard on the site of the present Reicheicks Reserve.
Two Bunya pines near the small quarry were planted by John Finger.  When the council first purchased the land, they formed a subcommittee and appointed Mr. R. Pescott, a previous director of the Royal Botanical Gardens, to draw up a design. The council gave the park the unimaginative name, Ruffey Creek Municipal Gardens.


Dam in Ruffey Creek built by Henry Finger. There is a narrow footbridge with five small children standing on it. The dam was fitted with a flood gate. dp0420


Two large lakes were to be made and on the hills blossom trees as symbolic fruit trees and euclipts were planted to give views between the rows down to the lake with an impressive water spout in the centre. These trees and other plantings of native and English trees were carried out.
In preparation for the lake, soil from the excavations for Shoppingtown was stock piled in a mound.  This mound, "the magic mountain", has become a favourite play area for children.
In the 1970's, a new type of people with modern ideas came into council. They questioned the plan with its out dated concepts and commissioned the Melbourne University Centre for Environmental Studies to make a case study in land use and outer urban park design. The plan for lakes was scrapped and some tree plantings removed. The study team suggested a change from an artificial landscape design to a more natural parkland.
As a result, the Council Engineering Department produced a plan to prepare the South West Corner for public use designing facilities for parking, shelters, barbeques, toilets, footbridges, and playgrounds. Later, barbeque areas were built at Victoria Street and at Church Road North.
Functions were held at the George Street corner, the Mayoral family day became an annual event, also concerts were held and the barbeques became popular whenever the weather was fine.
Many people came to this, the least attractive corner of Ruffey Creek Park and were unaware that it was only a small corner of the park.  Had they walked a short distance to the corner of McCallum Road they would have seen the magnificent view across the valley of Ruffeys Creek. Even then they would not have seen the whole park, there is also the lovely sloping land east of Church Road North and the lawns sweeping up to Crickelwood Drive.
Many people do enjoy the park.  There is always someone walking along the paths by the creek or others exercising a dog on the grassland areas. Now a new study has been carried out with the aim of both improving and making the park more available. The main focus is Ruffey Creek where there are serious problems.

A horse and tip dray loaded with small stones from the quarry adjacent to Ruffey's Creek, between Victoria street and Church Road. Unidentified man leaning against dray. DP0264

The first settlers used water from the creek for drinking, washing and watering their crops.  Fifty years ago the creek was a gentle stream flowing quietly through the valley, but when the orchards were cut down and houses built the environment of the valley changed dramatically.  The cultivated soil and the trees had absorbed most of the rain but house roofs and paving left large amounts of water to run off into the creek.  In times of heavy rain, the once quiet stream became a fast running torrent that gouged out the earth and rocks of the creek bed.
Before 1950, it was possible to wade across the creek but twenty five years later the creek bed became a ravine, in places two metres deep and domestic dirt polluted the once clean water.
The consultants plan to have Ruffeys Creek cleaned up as their first priority.  A string of three ponds from Victoria Street will slow down the stream, the ponds will also help purify the water. A family of platypuses lived near here under the Victoria Street Bridge before subdivision changed the creek.  At the far side of the park near King Street, an extensive open area, they have planned a large lake to provide flood control.  The lake will retain the large masses of flood water at times of violent heavy rain storms. It will also become a major attraction for the park.

Friedensruh, Victoria Street, Doncaster |c1960s | Photograph of the Thiele family orchard at Doncaster, showing the homestead and out-buildings, orchard, and a large dam in the foreground. DP0185

Most visitors tend to stay in the barbeque areas and along the creek paths.  A path around the perimeter and up over the hills will attract walkers to other areas and on to the hills where there are such wonderful views.  More walking and bicycle tracks will greatly increase possibilities of recreation.
Another problem is the lack of shelter away from the picnic areas.  A later project will be to build pavilions as shelter from the sun or rain or a place to rest while enjoying the view.  The consultants produced a draft plan and held discussions with the community.  Now a revised plan is on display and will soon be presented to council.

Source: Irvine Green and Eric Collyer writing in 1993 03 DTHS Newsletter


Ruffey Creek Park 

Opposite Schramm's Cottage in Victoria Street, an old cart track enters the park.  Along here, John Finger used to carry loam from the creek to enrich his orchard.
In the 1850's, Goufried Thiele had carted stone from the quarry to build the cart shed and packing room at Friedensruh.
Entering this tree lined track a walk leads along Ruffey Creek to Church Road. On the right the track passes the small quarry that is a circular excavation making an ideal amphitheatre.  Alongside the quarry a double row of radiata pines run up the hill to the boundary of the park.  The Thiele family planted the pines as a windbreak for their orchard and, between this double row of trees, they dug a drain to keep the orchard dry in wet weather. Both were important to an orchard.
Up the hill past here, two bunya pines spread their sweeping branches.  They were once alongside a gate to the paddock where the orchard horses grazed.  A road, where orchard wagons carried pears from the Victoria street orchard, ran down from the Thiele homestead, it went over the creek on a bridge then pasted the cart track to the gate.  Except for the vestiges of a mound, from the creek to the cart track, no trace of the road and the bridge remain. The quarry, the bunya pines and fold between the hill make this a special area for in this place sounds of the outside world disappear. The noise and bustle of civilisation does not intrude.


1993 03 DTHS Newsletter Ruffey Creek gardens from schramm cottage

The cart track enters the large quarry.  It goes along the level floor of the quarry with its strated cliff face reaching up on the left.  High up above, eucalypts and montaray pins wave in the sky.  This quarry is one of the many rooms of the park - each with its own character, and this place is unlike anywhere else in the Park.
Just beyond here, the track goes up in a steep climb to the Templestowe end of Church road, or a narrow path branches off winding through hawthorn bushes, remnants of an early planting, to another track that comes across a foot bridge and continues along the creek.  It is here that we pass the old bullock track.  Without being told, it would be difficult to recognise the bullock track.  When the Crouch family purchased the land, bullock wagons went through on the way to the gold fields at Warrandyte.  Knowledge of the route they took and the track they formed has been passed down in the family.  The bullock track crossed Ruffey Creek on a ford.  Now the bed of the creek has been washed away but once it was solid rock.  Then the track went up across Church road wearing a wide shallow path in the ground.
When the Lake is built this walking track will continue around the lake but now it turns back to meet Church Road Templestowe.  The land from Church Road towards King Street was part of Williamsons farm and orchard, a large area stretching across to Botanic Drive.  The area close to Church Road is one of the rooms of the park planted with thickets of Australian natives.
Church Road from King Street leads down to a car park, barbeque area on the left. This is the most attractive picnic place in the park.  The entrance road forms a circle around a delightful garden. Smooth clean grass surrounded by a circle of native bushes are an invitation to picnic.  Parking bays have been placed along the outside of the drive.  The old bullock track came up diagonally through here.  Handy to the circle, a shelter with electric barbeques and a toilet block provide facilities for picnics. On the King Street side of the parking area two pine rows shelter a small retreat where grass surrounds gardens of native plants.  We can walk along the grass strips between groups of grevilleas, acacias, callistemons, she-oaks and varieties of eucalypts.
On the right of the picnic area, a grassy bushland of radiata pines and eucalyptus melliodora reaches down to the quarry edge.  Glimpses of the Waldau hill can be seen through the pines.  Walking across the hill towards the Victoria Street side, we walk in to another room of the park.  On a fine sunny day, this stretch of grassland is beautiful as it sweeps down towards the double row of radiata pines.
The walking and bicycle paths all run though the valley but it is from the hill tops we see the wonderful aspects of the park.  In the master plan for the park a perimeter track will travel to the six hilltops that provide these views.
From Victoria Street, a combined walking, bicycle path gently curves on the Doncaster side of Ruffey Creek across open grassland. Across the open grass area up to the Waldau Hill there is a view of the creek in the valley and above to the Cricklewood Drive hill divided from the Victoria Street hill by the double row of pines. To the right the massed pines of Schramm's Cottage rise above Victoria Street.
Halfway along the bicycle walking path, another track branches off leading through scattered trees to the Doncaster end of Church Road.  Up the hill from there, the Thiele brothers had planted a windbreak of Radiata pines.  Many have grown old and been cut down.  Now this row in a line up the hill looks like a jaw with half its teeth missing.
From Church Road Doncaster, a walking path runs down to the valley and crosses the Creek on an attractive footbridge. Over the Creek is the quarry and above a dense forest hiding the barbeque area.  Passing Church Road Doncaster, the land was part of the Crouch orchard, a slope falls away in a valley with a small tributary of Ruffey Creek fed by the Roseland Grove drain.  Once there had been a large dam in the valley.  Passing the creek and walking over ground where peaches grew, there is an invigorating climb to the MaCallum Road Hill.  There is no walking track along here, but often it is more enjoyable to walk across grass.  In a park of this magnitude there is no problem of wearing out the grass.
A seat would be appreciated on this hill.  Seats to rest on while enjoying the view and small rotundas, to provide protection from the rain or the sun, are planned for the park.  From the MaCallum Hill the extent of Ruffey Creek Park can be appreciated.  To the left, in the valley there is another small creek and the temporary pile of earth that has become a magic mountain can be seen. The whole line of Ruffey Creek starts on the right behind trees and runs across along the valley half hidden by a ribbon of vegetation.  High up above dense trees around the other end of church Road stretch in both directions.
The climb up to the Botanic Drive hill is worth the view.  From the top the full extent of Ruffey Creek Park is spread out before us.  When the lake is constructed, this will be the place to view it down below as it lies in the centre of the valley.  But not many seem to have come up here.  Most people in Doncaster know the George Street activity area with its pavilions, electric barbeques, children's playground and outdoor stage, yet this is the least attractive part of the park.  In fact there are some who think that this is the Park.
In the picnic barbeque areas at George Street, Victoria Street and Church Street north, people gather in a party spirit to enjoy open air activities mainly in large groups or with a few friends.  In the main park itself, individuals and small groups come for the pleasure of walking through the park, jogging, bicycle riding or walking their dog.  In the future, we will see the range of activities increase, plans for Ruffey Creek Park will include facilities to provide for more interests. The people of Doncaster -Templestowe can be thankful for the councillors who had the foresight to acquire this great site.

Source: Irvine Green writing in 1994 06 DTHS Newsletter


Ruffey Lake Park Heritage Trail

The Ruffey Lake Park Heritage Trail is about 3 km long and has interpretative signs and heritage photos along the trail which describe various features and history of the Ruffey Lake area.

1969 Arch Morrison's dam in the valley of Ruffey's Creek at the rear of his Williamsons Road orchard. The photograph was taken from alongside the then end of Lynnwood Parade (before Morrison's orchard was subdivided and Lynnwood Parade extended to Williamsons Road). The pump shed is visible on the far side of the dam. DP0066

Topics covered include:

Remnant Woodlands
The area of indigenous vegetation immediately is one of the last remaining areas of relatively undisturbed natural vegetation to be found in Ruffey Lake Park.

The remaining eucalypt woodlands in the Park have characteristics in common with Box Stringybark Woodlands and Yellow Box Grassy Woodlands, once typical of this region. The eucalypt canopy is in reasonable condition but the shrub layer is markedly depleted and the field layer is severely depleted.

The remnant riparian (or streamline) vegetation along Ruffey Creek is characteristic of Swamp Gum Woodland dominated by Swamp Gum and Swamp Paperbark, which would have formerly occurred along much of Ruffey Creek.

Several areas of the Park are now being managed to encourage the regeneration of the native species and understorey vegetation and it is imperative that these areas remain undisturbed.

Species in the Park's Remnant Woodlands

Trees
Yellow Box - Eucalyptus melliodora
Red Stringybark - Eucalyptus macrorbycha
Mealy Stringybark - Eucalyptus cephalocarpa
Narrow Leaf Peppermint - Eucalyptus radiata
Long-Leaf Box - Eucalyptus goniocalyx
Swamp Gum - Eucalyptus ovata
Black Wattle - Acacia mearnsii
Blackwood - Acacia melanoxylon
Lightwood - Acacia implexa
Cherry Ballart - Exocarpos cupressiformis

Shrubs
Sweet Bursaria - Bursaries spinosa
Hedge Wattle - Acacia paradoxa
Tree Violet - Hymenantbera dentate

Ferns
Austral Bracken - Pteridium esculentum
Grasses, Lilies, Herbs
Weeping Grass - Microlaena stipoides
Kangaroo Grass - Themeda triandra
Pale Flax-lily - Dianella longifolia
Wattle Mat-lily - Lomandra filiformis
Variable Sword-sedge - Lepidosperma laterale
Bidgee-Widgee - Acaena novae-zelandiae

Source: Ruffey Lake Park Heritage Trail (Doncaster) - https://www.melbourneplaygrounds.com.au/ruffey-lake-park-heritage-trail-doncaster




'Friedensruh', the home of the Thiele family, Victoria Street, Doncaster, and orchard viewed from above Ruffey's Creek. The roof of the Fromhold family's house can be seen in the distance. An old post and rail fence is in the foreground. DP0348


Friedensruh from Victoria Street |1972 | Photograph of the Doncaster Botanical Gardens, taken from the road cutting outside Schramm's Cottage, showing Friedensruh, the old Thiele/ Collyer homestead at the end of Waldau Court, and the ancient Black Achan pear tree alongside Ruffey's Creek in foreground. DP0064





1993 03 DTHS Newsletter Ruffey Creek gardens from schramm cottage. BBQ Shelter (middle right)


2020 Looking south from Ruffey Park near Victoria Street.  Friedensruh (opposite side of the valley in the distance). The old pear tree (foreground on the left). BBQ shelter (foreground right).


1970 Ruffey Creek Gardens. View from Friedensruh, the old Thiele family home in Waldau Court, Doncaster, over Ruffey Lake Park, with Victoria Street in the distance. Ruffeys Creek is in the middle distance. DP0361


Dam for gold washing 1970 Dam on Ruffey's Creek at Parker Street, built by the Antimony Hill Gold and Antimony Mining Company to supply of water for its processing machinery. The company's mine was near Thompsons Road in the vicinity of the high point of Feathertop Avenue. The processing machinery, including a battery and Frue vanners, was on the site of the former tennis courts on the north side of Parker Street next to Ruffey's Creek. The company operated from 1889 to about 1893 and the dam would have been constructed about 1889. The children from Templestowe Primary School learned to swim in the dam. A daughter (Alice) of Mr and Mrs Svanborg, who lived nearby in James Street, drowned in the dam. The photograph shows the dam wall in its now badly eroded state. DP0531


Waldau area 1972 Aeriel photograph of that part of Doncaster centred on the Rieschieck's reserve, Ruffey's Creek and Doncaster (now "Ruffey Lake') Gardens area. Muriel Green Drive at that time terminated at the north-east corner of Schramm's Cottage grounds. The surrounding subdivisions are not yet fully built on. At this time the Fromhold orchard on the west side of Victoria Street prevents both ends of George Street from being connected. DP0265


Ruffey Creek Park 1972  View from Victoria street to Friedensruh, the old home of the Thiele family. DP0360


Finger's dam Dam built by Henry Finger in Ruffeys Creek at the rear of his house in George Street, East Doncaster. DP0421


Black Achan pear tree.  Sole survivor of a number planted by Gottlieb Thiele. This part of Ruffey's Park was farmed by the Thiele family, DP0488


1973 Gottlieb Thiele old pear tree, Friedensruh behind. (Information board in front of Old Pear Tree in Ruffey Park.  Unknown source)

2020 Old Pear Tree.  Looking towards SE.

Information Board in front of Old Pear Tree in Ruffey Park near Victoria St.  "The old pear tree this old black Achan pear tree is over 130 years old and is one of the first fruit trees to be planted in the Doncaster area.  The young pear tree was purchased from the Coles nurseries in Hawthorn and planted in this position by Gottlieb Thiele in the 1860s.  It still bears fruit and stands today as a living memorial to the 119 varieties of fruit trees once grown on the Thiele orchard."

Thiele Fruit Case Label Fireside Fruits. Old Pear Tree Information Board, Ruffeys Park, Victoria St


Ruffey Park Plaque

Plaque embedded in rock beside Victoria St Car park.

"Ruffey Creek Municipal gardens
The development of this section of the gardens was completed during 1980-81 at a cost of $170,000
Originally the area was used for orchards of pears, peaches, apples, lemons, quinces, plums and oranges which were established in the 1860s after the bush had been cleared.
Water was supplied from a dam located where the car park now stands.
Several quarries on the north side of Ruffey Creek were operating from about 1850 to 1880 supplying rock for house buildings and road construction in the municipality. t
The old bullock track, which still passes by these quarries, commences between the Pine trees west of the car park.
It was used in the mid 19th century when carts carried firewood, orchard products, quarry stone and soil to this district and also to Melbourne.
Officially opened by his worship the mayor counsellor Peter J Mulcahy JP, 21 of June 1981"


2019 Draft Waldau Precinct Masterplan

We are proposing some improvements to one of Manningham’s most loved recreational areas, the Waldau Precinct in the Doncaster area.


The Waldau Precinct is an area of approximately 20 hectares and includes:

The western part of Rieschiecks Reserve, including Schramm's Cottage Museum Complex, Riechiecks Pavilion, Victoria Street Pavilion, Waldau Lutheran Cemetery, Heimat House, and Kevin Heinze GROW.
The eastern part of Ruffey Lake Park including Ruffey Creek, orchard trees, old cart track, stone quarry, Victoria Street playground and picnic area, and the Waldau woodlands.
Our draft Waldau Precinct Masterplan aims to better integrate the area’s attractions.

There are a number of proposed improvements such as: 
  • a new visitor centre next to the heritage listed Schramm’s Cottage Museum Complex to hold meetings, do research, store archives, set up displays and host tours, 
  • a new cafĂ© at the popular Ruffey Lake Park playground on Victoria Street and upgraded play equipment new signage showcasing Manningham’s cultural heritage
  • better pedestrian links and car parking access.



Ruffey Lake Park

Loved by locals and visitors and flaunted as the park that ‘has it all’, Ruffey Lake Park is popular for social gatherings and family reunions.

There are three picnic areas which have all the facilities to make your visit stress-free including:

  • playgrounds
  • car parks
  • toilets
  • shaded areas
  • electric barbecues
  • large picnic shelters.
  • The picnic shelters and barbecues are popular. They are available on a 'first come, first serve' basis, with sharing encouraged.

Victoria Street Playground  - 99 Victoria Street, Doncaster East

Playground, Toilet, BBQ, Sheltered Picnic Areas, Walking Trails, Water, Shared Trails, Car Parkin

Set among the tranquil walking tracks, families won’t want to leave this adventurous playground which includes: swing and tyre swing, slides galore, monkey bars, rock-climbing facilities, fireman poles, swinging rope, chain ladders, flying fox, sand play, climbing challenges, bridges and a tower.
Plenty to see and do, which will keep children entertained their whole visit.
During the warmer months, a playful rock feature, and river bed channel with water play gates is among the favourites.
With plenty of barbecues, picnic tables and toilets, families can make Ruffey Lake Park a whole day’s outing.
Getting there . You can park in the Victoria Street car park, or enjoy the local scenery and arrive by bike.

The Boulevarde Playground  - The Boulevarde, Doncaster 

Playground, Toilet, BBQ, Car Parking, Water, Walking Trails, Shared Trails Icon

Packed full of play opportunities, The shaded Boulevarde playground has something for everyone. From artistic totems to traditional play equipment including a track glide, cubby, swings, slides, rockers, climbing unit and wobble bridge. There are also shady grassed area for you to enjoy picnics or a game of catch.
Hungry? Why not stay for a bite to eat and enjoy a picnic in the shade, or cook something on the barbecues onsite.

Getting there: You can park the car in the Boulevard, or enjoy the local scenery and arrive by bike.

Church Road North Playground

Playground, BBQ, Toilet, Sheltered Picnic Areas, Walking Trails, Water, Car Parking

Ruffey Lake Park’s Church Road North playground provides a different experience to the other playgrpunds in the park. Smaller and set amongst mature shade trees, the playground focuses on playing in the natural landscape and features a rock labyrinth, see-saw, swing suitable for all ages, junior see-saw and a cubby.
Cook something on the electric barbecues and enjoy a bite to eat in the large picnic shelter, or on the many picnic tables.
Getting there: You can park the car in Church Road North.

More special activities and attractions to enjoy at Ruffey Lake Park

  • Hill Top Circuit (3.6 kms).   Ruffey Lake Park Map (145.48 KB)
  • Enjoy the Ruffey Lake Park Heritage Trail (3 kms), or also visit Schramms Cottage on the A Clearing in the Forest Guide (1.45 MB)
  • Enjoy a stroll with the family and take the Fruit Frogs and Family Fun Guide (764.33 KB)
  • A Wheel Pleasure Guide (833.07 KB) includes an accessible walk suitable for families and wheelchairs
Grab your bikes and ride the Ruffey Trail, an easy 3.0 kilometre off-road ride that will take your family directly to Finns reserve and Wombat Bend Playspace.
Enjoy a game of disc golf
Take your dog to Ruffey Lake Park
Dogs are welcome at Ruffey Lake Park and there are off lead and on lead areas for you and your furry friend.
There are also some areas in the park fenced for revegetation where dogs are not allowed so that we can keep the park beautiful.
Plan your visit with your dog, see Icon for application/pdf Ruffey Lake Park Dog Controls (4.94 MB)

Getting to Ruffey Lake Park and car parking - You can park your car at any of the locations below:

Victoria Street
The Boulevarde
Church Road North
Don't forget that the gates to the park close at the end of the day 10.00 pm during day light savings otherwise gates close at 8.00 pm.

Related pages and files:

Detailed map of paths in Ruffey Lake Park

Ruffey Lake Park Master Plan 2005


Source: Ruffey Lake Park Masterplan 2005 (5.95 MB)
http://www.manningham.vic.gov.au/ruffey-lake-park  June 2019


Ruffy brothers of Ruffey Creek and Ruffey Lake Park fame (John Boylett) 



John had difficulty in finding verifiable information. He has, however, traced Ruffey the family tree back 400 years to Normandy, France.

By the 1700’s the family had moved to London, no doubt because of the Huguenot persecutions in France at that time. Descendents of the family eventually arrived in Hobart in 1834. By 1836 five brothers crossed Bass Strait and established a Squatter’s Claim by the Yarra River and a creek which later became known as Ruffey Creek.

The incorrect spelling has never been challenged! The brothers moved from the Templestowe area and much later settled on leases around Seymour.

The small township of Ruffy in the Strathbogie Ranges is a small reminder of the brothers time in this area. There are no descendents of this family.


Source: John Boylett speaking at DTHS General Meeting



From Pasture to Park: The Development of Ruffy Lake park 1966-2002

Part 1

Schematic design map of Ruffey Lake Park, 1974 (Source: Calder et al., Citation1974) cited in 


Most of us have had the pleasure of a walk through Ruffey Lake Park along meandering paths and undulating grasslands passing Friedensruh and the old Crouch property.
• Perhaps you have fed the ducks on the lake or taken the dog for a walk or watched children enjoying the adventure playground. This lovely public park is the culmination of over 35 years of planning and development by the City of Manningham officers and consultants as well as countless members of the public who served on committees to further the vision of a park to be enjoyed by the people of Manningham.
All this began in 1966 when the City of Doncaster and Templestowe passed a resolution to develop the Ruffey Creek area. It was envisaged that a design based on orchards with the colours of the seasons - spring blossoms and autumn tonings would be formed. Additional tree plantings would enhance trees already existing. In the next few years many trees were planted on this theme of orchard plantations and the circle of blossom trees at the Cricklewood Drive end of the park and the MVersaillesM pattern of planting in the southwest section were unconnected. In the words of the later City of Doncaster and Templestowe Heritage Study, ’’the sparse planting of exotic and native species in strangely geometric groups indicates a park waiting a design”.
The site under orchards, and pasture was bought from local pioneering families the Thiele, Williamson Crouch . Gersch and Tully families between 1966 and 1974 and it was planned that a public park would grow from these historic properties incorporating elements from the past.
The Centre for Environmental Studies from Melbourne University began a study in 1974. This very detailed study included geological surveys of the proposed park area, soil studies, drainage and water plans, all very necessary to an effective preparation for construction of a public space.

Additional studies of water quality and soil erosion along Ruffey Creek were included as were existing and indigenous vegetation and a section on native fauna in the area.
The aim of the first part of the study was to make basic decisions by identifying any problems thrown up by studies in the first part of the review.
Water quality and stream erosion were identified as the most immediate problems. The proposed formation of a lake in the park would at once face the technical problem of water quality. The stream was badly polluted, being high in coliform bacteria. At the time, septic tanks were general in the area but with conversion to sewerage much of the bacteria count ’would be eliminated.
Confining the water to culverts or channels quickly draining the water - a solution that is only partly effective might treat any remaining pollution, which cannot be controlled.
Lakes are an asset to any public park, providing a contrast to an undulating landscape and a tranquil restful area. Reflections in the water mirror the sky and trees and make a home for water birds and _ aquatic animals.
The early survey felt though, that a lake would be expensive to create, and difficult to keep free of rubbish carried by Ruffey Creek, which must drain into it. It was suggested that a smaller pond at the creek and tributary junction might be an easier and cheaper alternative.
The survey discusses the possible problem of vandals. At the first plantings in the 1960's, many newly planted trees were stolen and it was suggested that Schramm’s Cottage (then in the process of re-erection in 1974), should have council staff living on the site and the small cottage on the park’s northern boundary should also be inhabited.
Other conclusions of this 1974 survey were that if the plans were to go ahead, proper drainage and the laying of service mains for power and water should be the first priority.
The primary7 path system should be planned. Elimination of noxious weeds should be undertaken.
The caretaker in the Crouch house should be retained, and a caretaker installed at Schramm’s Cottage.
Although an. expensive undertaking, plans to build an underpass beneath Victoria Street to effectively link the Gardens and Rieschieck’s Reserve, should be prepared and monies laid aside to make this possible.
It was also envisaged that Friedensruh could become part of the park with a cottage garden and display orchard with bullock wagon and saw pit as a further attraction to the gardens.

Source: 2002-12 DTHS Newsletter


From Pasture to Park: The Development of Ruffy Lake park 1966-2002

Part 2
The Doncaster Municipal Gardens opened in 1977 and part of the plan had been put into operation. Three picnic and BBQ areas had been built - one on Victoria St where a combined walking and bicycle path curves on the Doncaster side of Ruffey Creek across grassland. Across Victoria St the pines of Schramm’s Cottage rise above ' the cutting and provide a view to the. east. At the other end of the park, a path from King St leads to a car park and BBQ area. An old bullock track came up through this area..
According to the late Irvine Green when the Crouch family first purchased the land, bullock wagons went by on. their way to the Warrandyte goldfields. The route can still be seen crossing Ruffey Creek on a ford. Native plants such as grevilleas, callistemon and acacias have been planted adjacent to sweeping green lawns suitable for picnicking families.
From Church Rd, another path crosses the creek on a rustic bridge and a dense forest hides the BBQ area and it is possible to climb the MacCallum Rd hill. From the top, the extent of the park can be appreciated. A proposed lake on the site of a natural wetland will further enhance the park and provide further amenity to the public.
The Council’s Open Space Strategy was produced in 1990-91, having identified the gardens as the most popular area of open space in the city.
A masterplan was developed in 1992 by external consultants and a steering committee comprising council . officers, residents and Parks Vic representatives was appointed to oversee the project.
Later, council endorsed a modified version of the plan in 1993.
The construction of a lake was the major development of the new strategy. This was planned to resolve previous flooding issues and also to provide a recreational facility. As identified many years before the problem of water quality in the creek should be improved by dense aquatic plantings and silt and litter traps appropriately placed.
It was also decided to rename the gardens "Ruffey Lake Park’


Cart track in Ruffey Lake Park | The cart track leading from Victoria Street to the old stone quarry alongside Ruffey's Creek. The track went through property belonging to the Thiele family. In the 1890s John Finger was granted a right of way over the track to take alluvial soil for his orchard on the east side of Victoria Street, now Rieschiecks Reserve. DP0362


Other major recommendations of the masterplan included:
• two regional adventure playgrounds
• a more extensive combined walk and bicycle network and nature trail
• two visitor pavilions
• a display garden
• the old quarry to be made into an amphitheatre for outdoor entertaining
• a series of historical interpretive signs in appropriate places.
Samples of proposed use of park:
• Movies in the park, picnics under the stars
•. Musical performances on the stage area
• Environmental education activities for children
In 1996, another council draft was produced named the Adventure Playground Draft The earlier Master plan had made recommendations to develop a playground area with a sense of adventure.
Questionnaires were sent to local people to ascertain their feelings about the playground and any inclusions wanted.
This resulted in many ideas later incorporated into the plan. Sealed supervisory area for adults, toddler areas as well as for older children, a maze accessible picnic tables, a drinking fountain and activities for disabled children were some of the issues raised by the questionnaire.

The design for the playground was a series of terraces, cascading down the hill with a spectacular shade roofing - a bird wing shape - as a distinctive feature. A cubby house, sand pit, a bullock cart and a water wheel provide some historical interest. A decking bridge crosses the sand and children can slide to a lower level and enter a more active area for junior children. A piece of rocking equipment has been designed to provide adequate back support for disabled users.
On another level there are horizontal ladders, a track glide, a tunnel and flying fox.
Supervisory seating is adjacent to the area with covered picnic tables conveniently placed.
An unusual feature is the carefully planned disabled facilities. All paths are graded at 1:15, supports and handgrips are provided. A swing seat with back support and rubberised impact absorbing surfaces are further features.
There is provision for orientation for visually impaired children. Texture strips in paths with brightly
coloured hand supports with single species scented planting along paths.
At the time of writing in 2003, the Adventure Playgrourfd has been completed. Crowds gather there every weekend, with childrens parties, school gatherings and family picnics making full use of all the facilities.
During 2001 and 2002 the historical interpretive boards were erected. The graphic designer employed to research the trail, Steve Chapman, based with members of our society for factual information on these boards, and photos used were from the collection of the historical society.
These too are popular landmarks in the park and many visitors follow these boards as an historic trail around the park, learning the area’s history as they go.
On Australia 2003, a full program of events was held in the park. Parkfest 03 included Cinema Under the Stars, local bands, a flea market and physical and environmental activities, which culminated in an evening fireworks display.
Since the original vision of a public park in 1966, many ideas have been suggested, some discarded, others expanded. Everyone however would agree that the park is a great asset to our community and a credit to all those who worked so hard to make the vision a reality.

Source: 2003-04 DTHS Newsletter


See also: