Text: "Main Road, Showing PO Doncaster. Published by W Fiddler. Stationer. M-4573" Text on Left hand building: Advertise IN The Age 151,768 Daily. ??Largest??? 3d. Confectioner. ????? ????? Public Telephone". One of six photographic postcards published in 1920s ands donated by Ollie [Olive] Buck, wife of Arthur Buck and mother of the donor.
DTHS Files: NF04P04-031 Main Road Post Ofice - Doncaster School to Tower 1 Ref9-74 same as DP1263
From left (southern side) to right (northern side):
- Newsagency offering The Age Newspaper, confectionary, public telephone and post office. Ran by postmaster Fidler’s from 1922-1927.
- Picket fence including a gate, surrounding old weatherboard cottage with extensive verandah and large tree in front. Thomas Hope’s old “Cockatoo store” used by Red Cross during WW1. The verandah extending almost to the picket fence at the roadside. Probably part of the Post Office property. Could have belonged to Ann Louisa Reynolds, the widow of Henry George Reynolds, a former postmaster. During the 1930s, this house was rented by the Pope family, two of the children being Teddy and Betty.
- Telephone pole with many wire connectors
- Thomas Hope’s old “Cockatoo store” (???) used by Red Cross during WW1. The rear of this building had been Thomas Edward Hope's estate agency office during the land boom of the late 1880s.
- High neatly trimmed dense hedge in front of John Petty’s house.
- John Tully’s house owned between 1916-1924; previously owned by William John Mays [Son of Allan Mays]; later owned by Dr Philip Commons.
- Church of Christ
- Electricity poles taller than the telephone poles
- E,S&A bank
No comments:
Post a Comment