50 Years Since Schramms Cottage Relocation 1976-2026
February 2026 saw the 50th Anniversary of the official opening of the relocated and rebuilt Schramms Cottage at its new location at Doncaster East. The official opening of Schramm’s Cottage took place on Saturday 14th February, 1976. A plaque to mark the occasion was unveiled by the Mayor Cr R. Poppins in the presence of over 200 people, and Sir Raymond Garrett MLC formally declared the cottage open and opened the front door with the original key. This day was the climax of five years combined efforts by many people, as there were over one hundred volunteers; mainly from the Doncaster Templestowe Historical Society, who all helped with the removal, rebuilding and setting up of the Cottage. Since then, many additional buildings and features of an historic nature have been added into the Schramm’s Cottage Museum complex including Fingers Barn, the Atkins Family Cottage, the Sloyd Woodwork room, the Machinery Shed, the replica tram as well as the cottage gardens and the restoration of the old Waldau Cemetery.
Source: 2026-03 DTHS Newsletter
Vale - Gerhard (Gerry) Heilmann
His work at Schramm's was always a great favourite of his and he made a donation to the cost of the well outside the cottage. On 5th November, he joined our members at the Yarra Valley Country Club for the farewell dinner for Judith and Ron Leaney.
After a short stay in hospital, Gerry returned to his home at TTHA in Bayswater to spend his final days in familiar surroundings, which was his wish.
Source: 2015-06 DTHS Newsletter
30th Anniversary of Schramms Cottage Opening (2006)
As members of the Historical Society enjoyed a wonderful spread at our Annual Garden Party in February, many of us cast our minds back to that day, exactly thirty years ago when the Cottage was opened to the pubic. It was Saturday 14th February 1976, when the Mayor councillor Bob Poppins unveiled the plaque in front of the verandah formally marking the occasion and Sir Raymond Garrett declared the Cottage open, using the original key to open the front door.
Councillor Muriel Green the then President, outlined the five years of effort by many people, principally from the Historical Society who assisted in the removal, rebuilding and setting up the interiors and grounds. She detailed the work of the Town Clerk Mr Jack Thomson and the City engineer who designed the floodlighting, still in use today. The expertise of the council Parks and Gardens under Mr Max Holmyard helped design and landscape our grounds. At that time there was so much to do. The house to furnish and decorate, garden to plant, paths to form, as well as the administrative jobs such as roster schedules and training for members who were unused to the tasks involved in weekly openings to the public.
Some of our newer members may not be aware of the story of Schramm’s Cottage and how it came to be in its present site in Victoria Street.
This material has been gleaned from an article from one of our earlier newsletters.
The Schramm family had built the old cottage in Doncaster Road, in 1875. Max von Schramm had sold his old “Common School” to the newly formed Education Department and constructed this new stone building as a residence and Lutheran school. Kate Schramm enjoyed furnishing her new home and chose red curtains tor the dining room the colour of which was replicated when the Cottage was re-opened. The kitchen was most inconvenient being inaccessible to the rest of the house, so food had to be carried along the verandah and through the front door to the dining room. Later when the school had closed meals were cooked in the schoolroom and the kitchen became the boys’ bedroom. The girls slept in the room, which later became the present study.
In 1908 Max von Schramm died. Kate Schramm lived on in the house for a while and died in 1928. The house was leased for quite a number of years and later sold to Mr Tully.
In 1955, some influential members of the public felt that the house and surrounding land should belong to the Council. The next year Mrs Tully generously agreed to sell the land to the Council and later in 1967 when our society was formed, the Council gave the Historical Society permissive occupancy of the house.
In 1970 there were plans to widen Doncaster Road. The district was rapidly becoming a busy residential suburb and with the opening of Westfield Shoppingtown traffic had escalated.
Because Schramm’s Cottage stood in the way of the road widening, people began to discuss what should be done to preserve the Cottage. After much public agitation and urging from the Historical Society the Council called a meeting to discuss the future of the Cottage. At that meeting a steering committee was formed charged to find a new site for Schramm’s Cottage, to arrange for its removal and to raise finance for the project.
This committee consisted of: Irvine Green (Chairman); Muriel Green (Secretary); Nell Elliot; Loris Webster; Eric Collyer; Ted Rieschieck; Paul Zweek; Mark Wierzbowski; Councillors Ian Peter-Budge and Les Cameron represented the Council.
Eventually the Trinity Lutheran Church donated their old church site and cemetery for the re-erection of Schramm’s Cottage and the setting up of an historic centre. The site was most appropriate, as Max von Schramm had conducted his first school in the old Waldau church on this land. Quite a time period elapsed while the land transfer took place, so it was 1971 before the dismantling of the Cottage commenced. Interior timber was marked and sorted into groups. The wall stones were removed and numbered. Volunteers carried out the dismantling and the Council provided transport for materials to be removed to the new site.
As Schramm’s Cottage was taken apart, interesting details of its construction were discovered. The internal walls were framed with Oregon with the studs morticed into plates. The internal framework was lined with lath and plaster and packed into bricks.
The mortar and plaster was made of sand and lime. About thirty dray loads of sand must have been used in the building. The eighteen-inch thick stone walls would have weighed 250 tons, the largest blocks weighing 600 lbs. When the sitting room fireplace surround was removed, several Christmas cards were found dated 1887.
Source: 2006-03 DTHS Newsletter
Schramms Cottage Rebuilding (Source ???)
Schramm's Cottage in 1976. On the left of the path are young camellias donated by Mr. Len Hobbs, on the right old fashioned roses.
Schramm’s Cottage Project Committee realised that it was not sufficient merely to re-erect Schramm’s Cottage on a new site. So later in 1971, the Committee published the aims of the project.
“Basically the aim is to preserve the past. To show life led by the pioneers, and the conditions under which they lived, it is desirable that one of each of the tools, appliances and articles of furniture they used, be obtained and preserved in their original condition. These are necessary to have, not because they are quaint, or just a tourist attraction, but because they will form a permanent record for the future. This must be done in such a manner that the museum will be looked at because it is interesting and aesthetically pleasing.”
It was decided that if Schramm’s was to qualify for a government grant, it must provide material of historic interest individual to Doncaster and not already covered by other Museums. In the submission for funding, two themes were presented:
1. The German settlement of Waldau, a subject of Australia wide interest.
2. Fruit growing, as Doncaster district was the leading orchard area in Victoria.
A grant was obtained from the State Government and work of re-building commenced in March 1973. At weekends, volunteers sorted the stones, laying them out around the cottage ready for Gerhard Heilmann the stonemason, to lay during the week. Soon the stone walls were erected and later the roof and framework of the interior walls were built. After some delays and various problems, carpenters from the Council eventually completed the Cottage and early in 1975 a meeting of the Historical Society held the February meeting in the newly erected building. The Cottage was not entirely finished with the interior details and painting incomplete.
During 1975, the Council was given a Commonwealth Employment Grant to re-erect Finger’s Barn. Doncaster Apex dismantled and moved the bam donated by Mr Ted Rieschiek.
On 14th February 1976, Schramm’s Cottage was opened in the presence of 200 visitors. The Mayor Cr. Bob Poppins gave the Doncaster-Templestowe Historical Society permissive occupancy of the Cottage and land, Sir Raymond Garrett opened the Cottage, and the late Cr. Muriel Green, the President received the key of Schramm’s Cottage for the Historical Society.
Since that time the Schramm’s Cottage precinct has been added to and improved. Members built the Vehicle shed, Doncaster Rotary completed the Implement shed, the Gazebo has been added, the Tram shed and Wheel Wright’s shop added also.
Later Atkin’s House and the Sloyd room have been sited on the North Lawn and a Pergola built as a Pioneer Memorial. In 1998 the Irvine Green memorial garden was built on the left inside the entrance gate, completing the garden setting for the Cottage.
To quote a comment that was made at the tenth anniversary of the re-opening of Schramm’s Cottage - “Here is a piece of history that has been well worth preserving. ”
Source: ????
Schramm's Cottage - 10 Years On (1986)
The crowds on the lawns surrounding Schramm's Cottage were reminiscent of that day ten years ago when the cottage was opened. But only "reminiscent" because many features were different. The lawns then were only grass, the garden was just a dream and the many other things that make Schramm's unique, still in the future.
Saturday, February 15th, 1986 dawned slightly grey and threatening but that did not deter over 200 people who attended to celebrate. There were many there who had been at that auspicious opening and sadly many who are no longer with us. The feeling generated by the assembled guests was one of great pleasure as old friends met and new friends were welcomed.
The Cottage, the gardens and the buildings looked wonderful and elicited many, many favourable remarks. Refreshments were served on the verandahs and lawns. So many people remarked on the superb food that was offered. Such variety, such unusual fare. As this was prepared and served by a small number of our lady members, these compliments were well deserved as these ladies made savouries etc. in batches of hundreds. To these hardworking ladies goes the credit and thanks.
Our barmen (and women) kept glasses replenished, for the day, though grey, was still warm. Many thanks to the male members of our society who worked hard cleaning, carrying and attending to a multitude of heavy tasks.
The official side of the afternoon was kept to a minimum. After a short welcome by the President he introduced Miss Christine Gray, Chairman of the Eastern Region of Historical Societies, who spoke of our Society's place in the Eastern region. The Mayor, Cr. Michael Ballagh, commented on the esteem in which the Society and SchrammÃs is held in the City of Doncaster & Templestowe.
The number of people who so readily accepted the invitation to the Garden Party gives a clear indication of the general interest in Schramm's Cottage.
We would like to thank these people, happy in the knowledge that they would agree - here is a piece of history that has been well worth preserving.
Source: 1986-03 DTHS Newsletter
Church Organ from Lutheran Church
The Lutheran Church has made a gift of their original organ that was used in the old church in 1870. Two other organs in Schramms also have associations with early churches of the district. The one in Schramms study donated by Mrs Atkinson was connected with the early days of St Philips, Deep Creek. The other a gift of the Corbett family was associated with the Primitive Methodist Church in East Doncaster.
After very successfully restoring the organ in the dining room, John Tully is now working on the Lutheran Church organ. It has been placed in the school room and is in almost its original position when the old church occupied this site.
Source: 1980-09 DTHS Newsletter
Schramm Cottage: House "resurrected" on old cemetery site (1976)
A century-old house in Doncaster, Melbourne, was saved from a road-widening scheme and carefully moved stone by stone to the grounds of an old Lutheran cemetery on nearby Waldau Hill Schramm's Cottage, which stands high on a hill overlooking the outer-Melbourne suburb of Doncaster, is an important link with the ancestors of many local residents. It is also a tribute to more than 100 volunteers, who worked to preserve this link. As well, it's a lasting monument to its builder, pioneer Max von Schramm, a pastor and teacher who devoted more than 50 years to educating the children of the district's fruit-growing farmers.![]() |
|
Then in 1971 they began the mammoth task of pulling the cottage apart stone by stone. It was dismantled under the careful supervision of the Doncaster Templestowe Historical Society and a local stonemason. Each stone was numbered and taken to the new site and laid out in order. Slowly the cottage was re-built. It gained a new iron roof and new timber ceilings — but, apart from these, it was erected exactly as it had been by Pastor von Schramm in 1874.
The next step was furnishing the house — nearly everything belonging to the pastor and his English wife had been sold at auction after Mrs von Schramm's death. The historical society collected many late 19th century pieces, and many local residents donated appropriate furniture. The original schoolroom, which stretches the length of the cottage at the back, houses a pictorial history of the district and of the Schramm family.
It is open on Saturday and Sunday afternoons between two and five, and on other days by special appointment.
Source: Story: Deidre Nolan Pictures: Don McPhedran 1976 '', The Australian Women's Weekly (1933 - 1982), 10 November, p. 114. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article51196547
Schramm's Cottage National Trust Plaque (1976)
Schramm's Cottage Reconstruction c1975
| Schramm's Cottage Reconstruction c1975 - south east entrance. Photo: Garth Kendall |

| Schramm's Cottage Reconstruction c1975 - north east entrance and verandah. Photo: Garth Kendall |
| Schramm's Cottage Reconstruction c1975 - North West verandah. Photo: Garth Kendall |
| Schramm's Cottage Reconstruction c1975 - south. Photo: Garth Kendall |
Source: Garth Kendall via Ben Frawley on Facebook
Schramm’s Cottage
The next step after the reconstruction of Schramm's Cottage is the setting up of the interior. What is to be done, and how it is to be done must be decided now. As an aid to making these decisions, advice is being sought from people with experience or knowledge. We were advised against making this just another museum full of old furniture and other articles. There are too many of them already. Sincerity is important. The cottage and the district have their own character and history.
Mr. John Regan, who has had experience with National Trust buildings, said that in setting up a cottage we should decide on a date and decorate to conform with that date. If a room is to be set up as an actual room then it should have the personal interest of looking as though Max or Kate Schramm could walk in at any moment. Members of the Schramm family who knew the house when Pastor Schramm was alive have been consulted. The furnishings as described were fairly simple. The age of the cluttered interior came later.
One room that was hard to describe was Pastor Schramm's study. Last century a man's study was his own private domain. A room forbidden to children, in fact even a wife would not presume to enter her husband's study without permission. Col. Pardy, one of the grand-children, can only remember being in Schramm's study on three occasions.
In the dining room, there was a small table in one corner known as the punishment table. In those days, it was considered that children should be seen and not heard. If any of the children spoke out of turn they were promptly sent to the punishment table to finish their meal.
The family's memories go back to the end of the last century. Earlier than that there are plenty of things that would never have been mentioned. Such as the original kitchen, or the colour that the doors and external trim were painted. Scraping down the paint showed that under the green, the woodwork was painted dark brown. Under this was bare wood, but as old paint was burnt and scraped off this did not answer the question. Coloured paint was not introduced until the height of the land boom around 1890. Before then a builder or a painter mixed his own paints from white lead and natural pigments. So that off white, cream and light stone were the normal colours used. Scraping off paint in corners that would have been difficult to get at tends to confirm that colours such as these were used.
Source: 1974-08 DTHS Newsletter
The Re-erection of Schramm’s Cottage
The building permit issued on 3rd March, 1973, for erection of Schramm's Cottage marked the forward commencement of the works. Forward because activities to make this project successful started three years ago with the decision to relocate the building. Since then, the new site was selected and prepared for building activities. Clearing, levelling and transportation of materials has been carried out mainly by volunteers. At this stage, however, a building contractor had to be engaged for re-erection works. The work started early in 1973 and it is expected to take about twelve months to complete. Every effort is being made to bring the cottage to its original condition, re-using carefully coded materials and details. Subsequently, great care was taken in re-erection of stonework. It is so important to place each stone in the right position, to locate it in exactly the same spot and form joints in a traditional manner. This was done well with the co-operation of all involved in this important event. The stone walls once again reflect the dignity and charm of the past. The task was not easy with construction of the roof. Some timbers were stolen from the site, some had to be replaced or re-shaped to achieve the required condition. Completion of the roof gave the cottage final form and now one can see how well it rests on this beautiful site.
There is still a lot of work to be done - the task of reconstructing fireplaces, rendering around doors and windows, flooring and internal finishes - all this still demands great care. Nevertheless we all are confident that this project is going to be completed successfully and serve us now and in the future as an example of our heritage.
Source: Mark Wierzbowski writing in 1974-02 DTHS Newsletter
Church Organ Donated
A small church organ has been donated for Schramm’s Cottage by Mrs. Harrap, a member of the Sell family. The organ belonged to Mrs. Holden who lived in Beverley Street in the 1860's. The organ was used for the first Methodist Church services in her home at this time. This will make a handsome addition to Schramm’s Cottage. Articles of historical interest and furniture are needed for setting up Schramm’s Cottage and we will be very pleased to receive them.
Source: 1973-11 DTHS Newsletter
Schramm's Cottage Stone Walls
The stone walls of Schramm’s Cottage have been re-erected and are standing on their new site. The stonework is the main part of the building. It was essential that the skill and craftsmanship of the original stonemason should be retained with the moving of the cottage. This has been done and the result has been worth waiting for. The stonemason, Gerhard Heilmann, is to be congratulated on the excellence of the stonework.
Now that the walls and chimneys are finished the rest of the work can continue. Working parties will be needed for the many odd jobs connected with the work. We would be pleased to hear from anyone who is willing to help with this.
Source: 1973-11 DTHS Newsletter
Time Capsule
As the stonework is now completed, it is possible to inform you all that within the walls several items have been placed in a time capsule. This includes a letter from the stonemason, money to the value of 88c (50¢, 20, 10, 5, 2 and 1 cents) and a brief list of what can be purchased with this amount, a letter from Gerry, including the number of members in our Society, a Newsletter, several photographs and a Schramm’s Cottage pamphlet.
Source: 1973-11 DTHS Newsletter
Schramm's Cottage Rebuilding Grant
As a result of a deputation to the Premier on behalf of the Doncaster Templestowe Historical Society, a grant of $10,000 has been made for Schramm's Cottage. The deputation consisted of the President of the Society, Mrs. Muriel Green, The Mayor, Cr. L. Cameron, Mr. Ivan Peter Budge and Mr. Irvine Green. The work of rebuilding the Cottage is well under way by M.C. Kool Constructions under the supervision of Honorary Architect Mr Mark Wierybowski. As building progresses working parties will be required to prepare materials and other work. Would any member or friend interested in helping please give their names to Irvine Green.
Source: 1973-05 DTHS Newsletter
Easter - Dawn Service (1973)
Easter dawn service at Schramm's Cottage, Easter Sunday 1973, on the site of the old Lutheran Church, Victoria street, Doncaster. Held in a clearing made for Schramm's Cottage which was to be rebuilt here after having been dismantled and removed from its original site in Doncaster Road. The stones of the walls were layed out in the area in preparation for the rebuilding. Eric Collyer at the organ, Muriel Green (directly behind Eric), Olaf and Glenys Soderlund on the right in the second row. DTHS-DP0574
Source: DTHS Image Library Annotations by Researchers
The Future of Schramm's Cottage
![]() |
Schramm's cottage in original location 1950 (DTHS-DP0537) |
A building committee was appointed consisting of the Town Clerk, the City Engineer, Mr. Mark Wierzbowski (Architect) and Mr. Irvine Green.
It is planned that as much work as possible should be carried out by volunteer labour. The stonework, being the main feature of the building must be done by experts to retain the quality of craftmanship. The rebuilding will start as soon as possible, although the first stones to go in have to be the last taken out.
Stonemasons have been approached for quotes. Council has allowed $2,160 in this year's estimates, a further $476 was raised by Doncaster & Templestowe Historical Society and $1,200 has been donated by Public Appeal. Once certain requirements have been finalised, such as the definite site, cost of the project, any compensation and so on, the National Trust will co-operate, and it will officially become a National Trust Appeal, with tax deductibility.
![]() |
Schramm's cottage in original location 1970 (DTHS-dp0540) |
The idea is to remove the Cottage with as little expense as possible to the new site, thus being able to utilize the money available for its re-erection, which it is hoped to commence straight away.
A new roof will be necessary, and it is proposed to endeavour to obtain any necessary replacements with as little cost or by donation as a promotion.
The working-bees have been very successful, and a thank you is extended to all those who have helped.
A roll of honour of volunteer helpers, and those who have donated to the project will be placed in the completed building.
Schramm's Cottage at its new home will face west and therefore be reversed, and the verandahs on two sides will be restored. It is intended to set up the Cottage and it is hoped that the Doncaster & Templestowe Historical Society will carry this part of it out.
The Committee now has to prepare a detailed plan, with photographs and drawings, showing details of what is proposed and how the Pioneer Centre will be set out.
It is hoped that historical publications and items and souvenirs will be available and that the money raised will maintain the Centre and even assist in the district.
It is very interesting to know that this site is where Pastor Schramm first came to in the district in 1860 to teach the Lutheran children, and liVed in a house at the rear. After being ordained a Pastor in 1876, he was Pastor on that site for 15 years until the new church was opened in 1892.
Source: Muriel Green writing in 1971-05 DTHS Newsletter
Schramm's Cottage
During the dismantling of Schramm's Cottage, interesting details of its construction have been discovered. The internal walls are framed with oregon with the studs mortised into the plates.
The frame is lined with lathe and plaster and packed inside with brick. To give a clean straight edge, window and door surrounds are lined with brick. These bricks are hand made to the small size that was the standard in Melbourne before 1880.
All plaster and mortar is made with sand and lime. About 30 dray loads must have been used in the building. The stone walls 18" thick weigh 250 tons, the largest blocks weighing 600 lb.
When the sitting room fireplace surround was removed several Christmas cards were found, dated 1887.
Source: Irvine' Green A.I.A.P. writing in 1971-05 DTHS Newsletter
The frame is lined with lathe and plaster and packed inside with brick. To give a clean straight edge, window and door surrounds are lined with brick. These bricks are hand made to the small size that was the standard in Melbourne before 1880.
All plaster and mortar is made with sand and lime. About 30 dray loads must have been used in the building. The stone walls 18" thick weigh 250 tons, the largest blocks weighing 600 lb.
When the sitting room fireplace surround was removed several Christmas cards were found, dated 1887.
Source: Irvine' Green A.I.A.P. writing in 1971-05 DTHS Newsletter








No comments:
Post a Comment